Vegemite Baked Chicken
Prep: 15 mins | Oven: 190 °C / 375 °F
Acknowledgment: Kudos to my mum! You will need a baking dish (with sides). Preferably a dish you can use on the stove later to make your gravy.
- A chicken
- 2 lemons (1 for stuffing chicken, and a bit for gravy/serving)
- Gravy (pepper, flour, soy sauce, 3-5 mushrooms)
- Wash the chicken (inside and out with water). Take out any blood or livers from inside. Pat the chicken with a paper towel, so it is dry inside and out.
- Cut a lemon into half to squeeze lemon juice into the cavity. Then, place remaining lemon rind inside the chicken.
- Seal chicken with toothpicks or skewers at both ends. Ensure you cut fat from neck end before sealing the chicken.
- Paint with vegemite, squeeze lemon juice all over, place rosemary and toss some pepper.
- In the baking dish (with sides) add 3 cm/1 inch approx. of water. Place in oven and cook (small 1kg chicken takes 1 hour vs. larger 1.5 kg takes 1.5 hours).
- At around 15 mins of cooking, commence the basting process (checking in on the chicken every so often, and with a spoon or brush use the water from the baking dish to cover the water). Add more water to the baking dish as it evaporates.
- Remove the chicken from the baking dish when it is ready. If your baking dish can be used on a stove top, then you can make the gravy in the same baking dish. Otherwise, you can poor the chicken water into a small pot. On the stove top on medium heat (in your baking dish or pot) use the water in the dish to make the gravy. To make the gravy, add in flour first, then cut off tips of wings, place in a few mushrooms, add a bit of soy sauce, lemon, pepper, salt and even red currant jelly. Continue to mix and taste till the consistency is correct!
- Ensure you rest your chicken (covered in foil) for about 10-15mins before serving (while you make the gravy).