Thai Steak and Noodle Salad
“AROMATIC ASIAN SALAD COMBINES LEMONY-FLAVOR WITH RED SPICE”
Acknowledgment: Kudos to Bon Appétit. However, instead of processed hot chili paste, I used a fresh red chili/pepper.
- 1 ½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¾ pound filet mignon steaks, 1 inch thick (or ask your butcher for something similar if too expensive)
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- A fresh red chili/pepper (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Salad And Assembly:
- 2 ounces dried ramen or lo mein noodles
- Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 large mango, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ bunch arugula, stems removed, leaves torn
- ½ bunch watercress, tough stems removed
2 medium carrots, finely shredded on a mandoline or a box grater
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- ¼ cup torn mint leaves
- ¼ cup crumbled toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped salted, roasted peanuts, plus more for serving
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Steak: Whisk ginger, soy sauce, raw sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisking constantly, gradually add olive oil, then sesame oil. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag and add steaks. Close bag, pressing out air, and turn steak to coat. Chill at least 6 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high.) Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry. Season very lightly with salt. Grill, turning every 2 minutes, until lightly charred all over and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each steak registers 120° for medium-rare, 8–10 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting into 1″ pieces. Do Ahead: Steak can be grilled 1 day ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Cut just before serving.
- Dressing: Whisk lime juice, chili paste, peanut oil, fish sauce, sugar, honey, and garlic in a small bowl to combine. Taste and season with salt if desired. Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Salad and Assembly: Cook noodles in a small pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking. Toss with oil in a large bowl. Add mango, arugula, watercress, carrots, scallions, cabbage, tomatoes, and dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt if desired. Add steak, avocado, cilantro, basil, mint, coconut flakes, and ¼ cup peanuts. Gently toss just to combine.
- Divide salad among plates, piling as high as possible. Top with additional peanuts and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.