Roast carrot & fennel soup
Prep: 10 mins | Oven: 190 °C / 390 °F
“SWEET AND AROMATIC SOUP”
Acknowledgment: Kudos to Jamie Oliver! Note, I halved his recipe, so made a portion for 4-5 people instead of 8-9 people.
- 500 g carrots , peeled, trimmed and sliced
- 1 bulbs of fennel , trimmed and sliced, tops reserved to serve
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cloves of garlic , unpeeled
- 900g litres vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of single cream , to swirl and serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Put the carrots, fennel and onion in a roasting dish and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, then add the garlic cloves. Stir everything thoroughly and return to the oven for 20 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft and browned. Remove the papery skins from the garlic cloves.
- Put the roasted veg in a large pan with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, then liquidise with a stick blender, until completely smooth.
- Gently reheat the soup, and serve with a swirl of cream, a scattering of fennel tops.