Crisp broccoli, pepper flakes & lemon
Prep: 10 mins Cooking: 30 – 50 mins | Oven: 220 °C / 425 °F
“CRISPY- PEPPERY – CRUNCH”
Acknowledgment: Kudos to Smitten Kitten.
- 1 fresh broccoli (medium to big)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few pinches (or if you are like me, around 1 tablespoon) of pepper flakes, to taste
- Finely grated zest of half a lemon, or more to taste
- 1 large or 2 -4 small garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of half a lemon, or more to taste, to finish
- Wash broccoli well. Cut the florets in small pieces and halved (see image above). Don’t let the stems go to waste, by slicing off then knots and cut the stems into 1/2-inch segments.
- Place the broccoli in a baking dish, drizzle around 2 tablespoons and shake around. Throw in the garlic, pepper flakes, salt and lemon zest until they’re evenly coated. Spread broccoli in an even layer in prepared pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then use a spatula to flip and move pieces around for even cooking. Roast another 10 to 15 minutes, checking every 5, until broccoli is toasty and as crisp as you like it.
- From the oven, taste a floret for seasoning and add more salt and pepper flakes if needed. Shower with fresh lemon juice and eat away