Cauliflower Broccoli Soup
Prep: 10 mins | Cooking: 25 mins
Healthy vege power. Feel good soup! You will see the broccoli brighten 1 minute after the hot water is added!
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 broccoli (or even 1 1/2-2, depending on how much of a green kick you like)
- 3 leeks (white part only)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (about 1/4 of one butter stick)
- 1 vege cube
- Salt and pepper
- 2 litres tap water
- Optional: You can add cream, however if you want it to be extra healthy I don’t use cream. The photo here is without.
- Wash the cauliflower, broccoli and leeks.
- Use the white part of the leek only (see image below or read more here). Cut them in thin slices.
- Place butter in a large pot (big enough to put everything in it) and add the cut leeks. Stir every minute for about 5 mins.
- While the leeks are cooking, cut your cauliflower / broccoli into small chunks (you put most of it in a blender so no need to be precise).
- Boil the water. Add two litres of water and one vege cube to the pot. Wait till the vege cube dissolves, then add the cut cauliflower / broccoli pieces.
- Put the lid on, and once it starts boiling turn the heat down to simmer for 20-25 mins.
- Let the soup cool right down, for about an hour. Once cooled, scoop or poor it in stages into a blender. Blend away! You can leave some of the cauliflower and broccoli in the pot and break it away with the wooden spoon, so the soup still has some texture. Or you can blend it all, so it is more a puree – up to you!
- Add a little salt and pepper (or if you like some cream in stages, like 1/4 carton to taste at first). Once again, cream is optional.
- The soup will alway taste better the day after. Put it in the fridge and heat it up again. You can add more salt and pepper if needed to bring out extra flavor.