Sticky Date Pudding
Prep: 40 minutes | Cooking: 40 minutes | Oven: 180 °C / 355 °F
Fav Aussie (passed on from our British friends) dessert!
- 7 oz dry dates (chopped into thirds)
- 6 or 7 fresh dates (halved)
- 1 level teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 oz (57g) butter
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz (170g) self raising flour
- 4 oz (115g) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 oz 115g) soft brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons double cream
- 2.5 oz (70g) butter
- Half teaspoon vanilla essence
- PUDDING: Pour half pint boiling water over dry (NOT fresh) dates. Add bicarb soda and leave to stand.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add (beaten) eggs a little at time and beat well.
- Fold in sifted flour and stir in dates with their liquid and the vanilla essence.
- Line cake tin with baking paper and then grease paper and tin.
- Pour mx into tin and place in halved fresh dates. Bake 180 °C / 355 °F for 30-40 mins (more like 40).
- Take out and prick holes with skewer gently, to pour little hot sauce over pudding and then place the cake back in the oven for a few minutes. Take out of oven, cool and turn onto plate.
- SAUCE: Place all ingredients into a little saucepan. Gently bring to boil, then simmer for 3 mins (taste and adjust, if necessary – maybe more cream).
- To serve heat cake in microwave. Heat sauce on stove.