Prawn in Tomato with Feta
Prep: 40 minutes and Ramekins | Cooking: 10 – 12 minutes | Oven: 220 °C / 392 °F
Rich tomato that pops!
Acknowledgment: Kudos to my mum.
- 30-36 prawns/shrimp for 6 people (5-6 prawns each)
- Olives (halved)
- 1 cup chopped spring onions (shallots)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6-7 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tin peeled tomatoes
- Little chilli
- Sprinkling sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (+ some)
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 125g feta
- Shell prawns, leave on tails. Devine, dry and refrigerate.
- Blanch fresh tomatoes. How to blanch? Using a sharp knife, cut a shallow X on the bottom of each tomato. Fill a pot with boiling water. Once boiling, then drop the tomatoes in the pot. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until the tomato skins split open. Then peel skin of tomatoes, dice and set aside until needed for use.
- Gently fry onion in oil until transparent. Then, add spring onions, garlic, chilli, and cook 2minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, paste, wine, most of parsley, oregano, salt/pepper and sugar. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes until thick.
- Spoon half tomato sauce into 6-7 individual oven dishes or 1 large. Add prawns and spoon remaining sauce over top. Coarsely crumb feta and sprinkle on top with olives.
- Cook in very hot oven 220 °C / 392 °F at 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes at least (as it will be very hot). Sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread.